We all love our homes, but unfortunately due to the Pandemic that has hit this country and the world our homes are not just our castles so to speak these days!
At the moment for most of us our homes are the central location for our business’s or a secondary work-area, a classroom and a creche all in one space.
Like most of us- a home office space would not have been seen as an essential ergonomically planned space in our home, unless you were always working from home of course. So you like many others are probably calling the couch, the kitchen table, kitchen island, under the stairs, spare bedroom, own bedroom your office at the moment.
Studies show that we all need some peace and quiet in open -plan offices but what if that open plan was your living-room? No need for studies we all know how it can be……….
Anyway with all this in mind I have a few helpful tips for you. A good airy workspace ensures productivity!
I think it would be fair to say we all like to close the door at the end of a busy day and not have to think about work again until the following day.
If you want to create an office in your bedroom bear this in mind:
- Choose a space in the room where you can focus:
- Declutter the area as you cannot be productive if the room is untidy- optimise space for creative needs.
- Desk options- 1)put an unobtrusive desk in the room 2) a wall mounted shelf would be an option if your short on space or 3) slot a desk into the alcove in the room.
- Is there an option to hide the desk and chair in a wardrobe?
- If you need another socket for your computer/light- obtain an extra power bank and attach it to the side of the desk for easy plug -in/out access.
- A comfortable chair- if you don’t have one maybe take one from another room or you can buy on-line.( if you are buying a chair -please ensure it is comfortable and has ergonomic fixtures) maybe add in a footrest for good measure.
- Make sure there is a bright colour scheme on the wall. A bright colour or neutral colour will lift your mood. A colour like Purbeck Stone from Farrow & Ball – a lovely warm colour
- Is there enough natural light? ( natural light is very important factor- pull back the curtains more if needed)- maybe you might need to add a desk light. Please note – if the window is behind you position the computer so that it doesn’t give you a glare on your computer screen. ( you don’t need this if you are on Zoom/webinar call during the day- can we believe we are seriously rocking this virtual world!
- Open shelving- good for storage – add containers or baskets if needed- for any items not used on a daily basis, label and put somewhere out of sight.
- Put a ‘feel good factor picture’ on your desk
- Place a picture/piece of art on the wall.
- Think green- add a plant
- Tidy your desk at the end of the day as it is a bedroom too, recreate your relaxation space before you leave the office as you will be returning to this room for bedtime.
- Excess office materials thrown around can lead you to feeling overwhelmed, this is the last thing you need, maybe light a candle with a nice scent before you finish your day and close the door behind you.